Tour the Towpath is proud to be an official pre-conference event for the World Canals Conference!
A warm welcome to all international conference-goers who are visiting Upstate New York and the Historic Erie Canal. We hope that you will join us in experiencing the Erie Canal from the unique perspective of a bicycle. We would love to share our local history, culture and community with you!
Tour the Towpath riders are invited to join the following post-ride activities planned for World Canals Conference in Syracuse:
- Syracuse Inner Harbor, 1pm – 6 pm; open to the public and conference attendees. Come one and all to enjoy a day of fun, learning, entertainment, and merriment on the water.
- Tour replica 1862 canal schooner Lois McClure.
- Row a traditional six-oar long boat built at the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.
- Watch live hot glass shows presented by the Corning Museum of Glass GlassBarge.
- Try paddling! Free kayak lessons & demonstrations.
- Tour Onondaga Lake by boat from the Honeywell Visitor Center.
- Cycle to the Inner Harbor. Join Tour the Towpath as it completes its two-day tour from Rome to Syracuse. Meet in DeWitt for a unique ride through Syracuse to the Inner Harbor. Meet-up time 1:00.
- Music, entertainment, food trucks, and special exhibits throughout the day.
- “Doors Open” at Syracuse Museums & Galleries, 1-5 pm: Experience dynamic cultural institutions, including the Erie Canal Museum, Everson Museum of Art, and Onondaga Historical Association.
- Water Way Youth Video Exhibition, Everson Museum of Art, Outdoor Exhibition Venue, 8 pm: Enjoy a screening of 1-3 minute short films focusing on canal life and culture through the eyes, experience and imagination of young people from Scotland, Belgium, Italy and New York State. Projections will be shown each night from September 24-28.